May 9, 2013
Pike forms education kitchen cabinet
“Funding basic education is the state’s paramount duty. The State Supreme Court ruling on the McCleary case, directing the Legislature to fully fund education by 2018, was a wake-up call for Olympia,” said Pike, a member of the House Education Committee.
“I want to listen to the folks on the front lines of our public education system to identify ways to improve student achievement. I’m delighted to bring together school board members, administrators, principals, and teachers in the district to participate in what will be a meaningful process to improve our public education system in Washington.”
Rep. Pike also invited Sen. Ann Rivers, R-La Center, to join the discussion and be an integral part of the education kitchen cabinet. Rivers is a member of the Senate K-12 Education Committee and a former teacher.
“I’m thrilled to be a part of this working group. I’m also appreciative to Rep. Pike for putting this together. This will provide a great opportunity for us to reach out to our education officials and engage with them,” said Rivers.
In addition to Rivers, Pike’s education kitchen cabinet members include:
- Jeff Vigue, School Board Member - Ridgefield School District
- John Deeder, Superintendent - Evergreen School District
- Dennis Kampe, Director - Clark County Skills Center
- Marilyn Boerke, Principal - Camas School District
- Laura Bolt, Principal - Washougal School District
- Stephanie Etulain, Teacher - Battle Ground School District
- Lorri Sibley, Teacher - Battle Ground School District
- James Dewey, Teacher - Camas School District
- Ellen Joslin, President - Battle Ground Education Association
- Marie Sullivan, Executive Director - WA School Directors Association
- Roger Daniels, former Clark College Administrator
- Thomas Hann, representing SW Washington homeschoolers
Pike’s education kitchen cabinet will meet this summer at her district office in Camas on June 26 and on August 21. Eight school districts are located within the 18th District including Battle Ground, Camas, Evergreen, Green Mountain, La Center, Ridgefield, Vancouver and Washougal.
For more information, visit our Web site at: houserepublicans.wa.gov.
455 John L. O'Brien Building
P.O. Box 40600
Olympia, WA 98504-0600