J.T. grew up on his family’s farm, Wilcox Farms, started in 1909 by his great-grandfather. J.T. started in the family’s business by feeding calves and worked his way up to Chief Financial Officer. He worked on the farm starting at age five, managing diverse operations including an 800 cow dairy herd, processing plants and a 100-vehicle distribution system.
J.T. is a Yelm High School graduate and earned his bachelor’s degree in History from Washington State University.
In 1995, he transitioned to processing operations, managing the operations of the multi-million dollar company with hundreds of employees. In 2006, he was appointed Chief Financial Officer of Wilcox Farms, managing the $200 million business. J.T. is still involved in Wilcox Family Farms managing forestry, real estate and water rights.
Past Chair, Milk-Pep (National Got Milk? campaign)
Former President of Washington Poultry Industry Association
Past President, Washington Holstein Association
Past Commissioner, Washington Egg Commission and Washington Dairy Products Commission
He was sworn in as state representative in 2011. His legislative interests are budget sustainability, rebuilding the rural economy and finding ways for people to work where they live.
J.T. and wife Kathy, who is a 6th grade teacher, have three children, all graduates of Yelm Community Schools. One currently attends Yelm Community Schools, one attends University of Washington, and one is on active duty in the Army.
- Yelm Methodist Church, member
- Yelm Lions Club, past King Lion
- Roy Volunteer Fire Department, 1985-1995
- Pacific Education Institute, board member
- Nisqually River Basin Land Trust, founding Vice President
- member, Graham Business Association
- member, Orting Chamber of Commerce
- Legislative Ethics Board
- Legislative Committee on Economic Development and International Relations
- Legislator of the Year, Washington Assoc. of Agricultural Educators, 2012
- Honorary Chapter Farmer degree, Yelm FFA 2012
- Keystone Award, Washington Food Industry Association, 2011-2012
- Guardian of Small Business, National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB), 2012
- Cornerstone Award, Association of Washington Business, 2011-2012