Richard “Dick” Muri was born in Fairbanks, Alaska. He received his Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health from the University of Massachusetts Amherst in 1975, and his master’s in Public Administration from Golden Gate University in 1988. Commissioned as an officer in the United States Air Force in 1975, he earned his navigator wings in 1976 and flew the C-141 as a navigator. Muri is an Operation Urgent Fury and Gulf War veteran. He served in the Air Force for 22 years, and is a retired lieutenant colonel.
From 2003 to 2012, Muri served as a District 6 Pierce County Councilmember. He also served as a board member of the Steilacoom Historical School District #1 from 1997 to 2004.
Muri was appointed to the Washington House of Representatives in July 2013 and elected to his first full term in 2014. He is the assistant ranking member on the Education Committee, a member of the Judiciary Committee, and Joint Committee on Veterans’ and Military Affairs, and serves on the Legislative Task Force on Career Education Opportunities. Muri is passionate about helping veterans and current members of the military and meeting the educational needs of students, teachers and parents.
Dick and his wife of 37 years, Mary, reside in Steilacoom. They have four children, Jennifer, Jonathan, Sarah, and Bradley, and seven grandchildren.
- Bachelor of Science in Environmental Health from University of Massachusetts at Amherst
- Masters of Public Administration from Golden Gate University
- Retired Lieutenant Colonel, United States Air Force, 1976-1998
- Steilacoom Historical School District #1 Board member, 1997-2004
- Pierce County Councilman District #6, 2003-2012
- Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department Board of Directors, chairman 2011-2012
- Pierce County Performance Audit Committee, chairman 2006-2012
- Military Officers’ Association of America, Mt. Rainier chapter, president 2013-2015.
- Joint City-Council Open Space Determination Board, board member
- Law and Justice Community Oversight Committee, board member
- Pierce County Reserve Officers Board of Trustees, board member
- Rainier Communications Commission, board member
- Zoo/Trek Authority (ZTA), board member
- Safe Streets, board member
- Pierce County Law and Justice Council, councilmember
- Legislative Task Force on Career Education Opportunities
- Champion for Kids, WA Digital Public Schools Alliance, 2015
- Guardian of Small Business Award, National Federation of Independent Business, 2014
- Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber of Commerce, John H. Anderson Military Citizen of the Year Award, 1996
- Inducted in the Fort Lewis Civilian Hall of Fame at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, 2006
- Washington State District Three Middle School Wrestling Coach of the Year Award, 2002
- Steilacoom Kiwanis Club, past president
- Steilacoom Historical School District #1 Board of Directors, former member
- Steilacoom Lakewood Youth Wrestling Association, co-founder and director